As 2018 draws to an end, I thought I would reflect on this year’s amazing releases and the ones that were perhaps not so good. This list comprises completely of my biased opinion however, there are a lot of this year’s releases that I was unable to make as my local ODEON cinema unfortunately doesn’t always get all the films, particularly the more independent ones. Nevertheless, here is my top 10 and my worst 5, starting with the highlights:
10. Mission: Impossible Fallout (Dir – Christopher McQuarrie)
9. Searching (Dir – Aneesh Chaganty)
8. Isle Of Dogs (Dir – Wes Anderson)
7. American Animals (Dir – Bart Layton)
6. Beautiful Boy (Dir – Felix can Groeningen)
5. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Dir – Bob Persichetti and Peter Ramsey)
4. Avengers: Infinity War (Dir – Anthony Russo and Joe Russo)
3. A Star is Born (Dir – Bradley Cooper)
2. BlackKklansman (Dir – Spike Lee)
1. A Quiet Place (Dir – John Krasinski)
Honourable Mentions: Tag, CoCo, Bohemian Rhapsody, Ready Player One and Widows.
Now for my worst five:
5. Skyscraper (Dir – Rawson Marshall Thurber)
4. Holmes and Watson (Dir – Etan Cohen)
3. Robin Hood (Dir – Otto Bathurst)
2. The Happytime Murders (Dir – Brian Henson)
1. Slender Man (Dir – Sylvain White)
All that’s left is a closing note for those of you that have made it this far. Thank-you for reading throughout the year. I have really enjoyed being a member of the ODEON Limitless club and being able to share my thoughts with you all on this platform. I don’t ever claim to be the next Kermode but writing more critically has been thoroughly enjoyable and I look forward to many releases to come in 2019.
Happy New Year!